Wednesday, December 9, 2009

MIT prof’s prosthetic limbs blur the boundaries of disability


From Forbes Magazine:
Hugh Herr, director of the biomechatronics group at MIT’s Media Lab, has spent the past 27 years revolutionizing technology for people with prosthetic limbs, His goal: to build artificial limbs that are superior to natural ones. Both of Herr’s legs were amputated below the knee when he was 17 after a rock climbing expedition left him with severe frostbite.

Next year, Herr’s company iWalk is planning to release the PowerFoot One, the world’s most advanced robotic ankle and foot. “I like to say that there are no disabled people,” says Herr, 45. “Only disabled technology.”

“The fact that I’m missing lower limbs is an opportunity,” he says. “Between my residual limb and the ground, I can create anything I want. The only limits are physical laws and my imagination.”

“… Disabled people today are the test pilots for technology that will someday be pervasive,” Herr explains. “Eliminating disability and blurring man and machine will be one of the great stories of this century.”

No comments:

Post a Comment